Welcome to the Topps 300 (and then some...) Blog!

Below are scans of the best five (in my opinion) cards from each year from the last 60 years of Topps Baseball Cards. I picked the 300 based on a few qualifiers, including: Key Rookie, Unique Photo, Action Shot, Card caused a buzz in the Hobby, Noteworthy Errors, Player had an impact on the game that particular year.

Now I know I left a whole bunch of worthy cards off the blog (and I have a feeling that I know what they are). What I ask is that you the readers that if you feel that a card not included in each post should be to add it to the comments. The idea is that eventually, I will create a ballot including my picks, as well as up to five picks from the commenters, will be put to a vote for the Hobby Blogging (and Internet) community to determine the best cards from each year of all time.

It is still a work in progress. But for now, please view each of the posts, and let me know what you think. And definitely share this with the populace. The more input this blog gets, the better the results are going to be in the end.

Thank you very much.

Sincerely,

JayBee Anama

1970 Topps


  • #252 Lowell Palmer
  • #350 Roberto Clemente
  • #500 Hank Aaron
  • #585 Rusty Staub
  • #660 Johnny Bench

2 comments:

Jim from Downingtown said...

The Juan Rios card, showing Rios browsing over the bat rack was an unusual pose. I'd pick it over Staub.

Then again, it's nice to include the first big star for the Expos franchise, in their crisp new uniforms.

Stubby said...

Staub's a keeper. Not so sure about the Bench (or the Clemente or Aaron, for that matter). But the #1 card in the set, literally & figuratively, was the World Champion Mets team card. True, I'm a Mets fan, but I remembered everybody wanted that card that year. It was just such a miracle, everybody wanted a piece...and verification that it actually happened. The Series highlights cards were equally popular.

The key card in the set is clearly the Nolan Ryan. You can't leave out the Thurman Munson Rookie Card. And you really need to have a Seattle Pilot; how amazing was it to have cards for a team that didn't exist (and no cards for a team that did)? No, Larry Haney's '69 does not suffice. Love the Pilot uni's. For that reason, I'm partial to the cards of Bolin and Baldwin and maybe Kubiak--none of whom were with the '69 Pilots.