Welcome to the Topps 300 (and then some...) Blog!

Below are scans of the best five (in my opinion) cards from each year from the last 60 years of Topps Baseball Cards. I picked the 300 based on a few qualifiers, including: Key Rookie, Unique Photo, Action Shot, Card caused a buzz in the Hobby, Noteworthy Errors, Player had an impact on the game that particular year.

Now I know I left a whole bunch of worthy cards off the blog (and I have a feeling that I know what they are). What I ask is that you the readers that if you feel that a card not included in each post should be to add it to the comments. The idea is that eventually, I will create a ballot including my picks, as well as up to five picks from the commenters, will be put to a vote for the Hobby Blogging (and Internet) community to determine the best cards from each year of all time.

It is still a work in progress. But for now, please view each of the posts, and let me know what you think. And definitely share this with the populace. The more input this blog gets, the better the results are going to be in the end.

Thank you very much.

Sincerely,

JayBee Anama

1983 Topps


  • #83 Ryne Sandberg
  • #163 Cal Ripken
  • #482 Tony Gwynn
  • #498 Wade Boggs
  • #108T Darryl Strawberry

3 comments:

CK said...

This is my all-time favorite set and you nailed the picks perfectly. I'm a huge Phillies fan and the '83 Schmidt is my all-time favorite of his, but I can't argue with these picks. Perfect.

Anonymous said...

This set has the best photography of the 80 topps boxes I've opened so far (through 85). I think these have to be the 5 cards, but here's honorable mention:

#307 - Lou Piniella. Check out this shot, they cought him after the follow through, bat in the air, might be the best picture from a great set.

#396 - Dan Quisenberry in the middle of his submarine motion.

#550 - Yaz holding a ball in the cage to hit fielding practice

Anonymous said...

This set does have great photos, which is why I'd ditch the Ripken (bland, and not an RC), and the Sandberg which is fugly (is it airbrushed from a phillies uni?)

I like these in no particular order as possible replacements:

#233 Wayne Gross
#550 Yaz
#765 Bob Boone
#779 Rick Waits